What Is a Rhinoplasty Surgery?
Rhinoplasty, also called a nose job or nose surgery, is a surgical procedure that can improve the structure of your nose to provide a more balanced facial appearance and beautify the entire face. It can also improve breathing in patients who have nasal abnormalities.
Types of Rhinoplasties
Cosmetic surgery that changes the appearance of the nose for someone who has never had a rhinoplasty.
A corrective rhinoplasty that remedies problems or aesthetic concerns that remain after, or were caused by, a former rhinoplasty.
What Are the Benefits of a Rhinoplasty?
Enhanced Attractiveness and Facial Harmony
Rhinoplasty resculpts the noses of patients who are bothered by features such as an overly large nose, wide nostrils, or a nasal hump. A rhinoplasty can help create a more harmonious facial appearance in both men and women.
Nasal abnormalities can obstruct the natural airways, which can make breathing more difficult. A functional rhinoplasty can address these issues to improve breathing.
Rhinoplasty can provide both men and women with a more aesthetically pleasing nose. One of the best outcomes of rhinoplasty is improved confidence and self-esteem.
Who Is a Candidate for a Rhinoplasty?
A rhinoplasty can be a great option for someone who is bothered by the appearance of their nose and/or has trouble breathing. Both men and women can benefit from a rhinoplasty.
It is appropriate for healthy patients of all ages. It is common for people to seek a nose job when they are approaching a life transition, such as starting college or a new job, or moving to a new area, but can be a positive life improvement at any time. Schedule a surgical consultation with Dr. Truesdale today to arrange a one-on-one conversation to discuss your goals and get his expert take on the right treatment plan for you.
Why Choose Truesdale Facial Plastic Surgery for your Beverly Hills Rhinoplasty?
First and foremost, Dr. Truesdale prides himself in delivering natural results to enhance each patient’s inner beauty and achieve their goals.⠀⠀⠀⠀
“Rhinoplasty is the highest form of artistry, so I approach it that way. I am meticulous in my technique – every millimeter counts”
– Dr. Carl Truesdale
Rhinoplasty should augment natural beauty and be individualized for each patient. Not every nose should look the same, so not every rhinoplasty should be approached the same way. Dr. Truesdale thinks it is of critical importance to discuss the patients’ goals so that he can come as close to achieving these goals as humanly possible.
Dr. Truesdale Is an Expert When it Comes to Ethnic Rhinoplasty
Individuality is particularly important when it comes to what is known as “ethnic rhinoplasty” for patients of color. Dr. Truesdale recognizes the importance that racial and ethnic backgrounds play in our lives and how we understand beauty.
Dr. Truesdale is trained in the most advanced cosmetic and reconstructive techniques available. He can perform both open or closed rhinoplasties, and will walk you through his planned approach and the rationale prior to the surgery.
“There is no surgical maneuver I can’t perform – from a primary rhinoplasty to total nasal reconstruction – I’ve done it all.”
– Dr. Carl Truesdale
Schedule a consultation today with Dr. Truesdale, a highly trained and artistic facial plastic surgeon in Beverly Hills, to start a beautiful journey.
What is the process to have a rhinoplasty in Beverly Hills at Truesdale Facial Plastic Surgery?
1. Consultation / Preparation
- The first step in the journey is a one-on-one consultation with Dr. Truesdale in Beverly Hills. During that time, you will share your goals, he will evaluate your face, and provide his expert opinion on the best treatment plan and surgical approach. Expectations, results, methods, and risks will all be discussed. Dr. Truesdale will take the time to make sure you understand the plan and feel fully informed and comfortable with the surgical plan.
- Dr. Truesdale is trained in the most advanced cosmetic and reconstructive techniques available, and can perform either an open rhinoplasty (with external incisions along the base of the nose) or closed rhinoplasty (incisions are placed inside of the nose), depending on the patient’s situation and goals. Dr. Truesdale also performs revision rhinoplasties to repair cosmetic or functional problems that developed from a previous nose surgery or injury.
- You will then meet with the Practice Manager to discuss scheduling, cost and the payment plan, and your pre-operative instructions. We can schedule you for surgery as soon as you pay the $1000 surgical deposit. Oftentimes, surgery can be scheduled within the next few weeks!
- During the consultation, Dr. Truesdale will discuss preparing for your procedure. Detailed information with pre-operative instructions, benefits, and risks, will also be shared electronically so you have the opportunity to review in detail and can prepare any additional questions for Dr. Truesdale or the team.
- As with any surgery, there are certain medications, vitamins, and herbs that should be avoided in the 2 weeks prior to surgery. Some of these items can cause you to bleed more than normal, or may otherwise interact with the surgery process.
3. Day-Of Procedure
- Surgery will take place at a nearby accredited surgical center. Our Practice Manager, Maria, will provide you with detailed location information and pre-op instructions.
- The length of surgery varies based on each patient’s situation and goals. Many primary rhinoplasties can be done in about 3 hours. Revision rhinoplasties typically take longer, between 2-6 hours.
4. Post-Operative / Recovery
- After the surgery, patients can go home with a friend or family member after being cleared by Dr. Truesdale.
- Dr. Truesdale will provide detailed information on how to promote the most effective and comfortable healing process.
- It is recommended to take 1-2 weeks off of work, school, or other major commitments to heal and recover.
- Most patients experience more discomfort than pain. Use pain medication as directed or needed, lubricate your nostrils and incision site, and follow all of Dr. Truesdale’s post-operative instructions.
- Avoid sun exposure, strenuous activity, hot baths, steam showers, and saunas, and blowing your nose for the first few days.
- Avoid strenuous activities during the initial healing process.
- Your nasal cast and sutures will be removed after five (5) to seven (7) days at your follow-up appointment. You may shower at this point and get your face wet.
- Swelling often worsens in the first two (2) to three (3) days. You will likely be puffy and swollen for 1-3 weeks. You will look great after 1 month, and continue to improve over time.
5. Extended Healing
- Continue to avoid sun exposure for 6 weeks, and wear SPF 50+ daily.
- We will teach you an appropriate way to wear glasses or sunglasses for the immediate healing period. You may wear contacts the day after surgery.
- After the dressings are removed, avoid activities that may injure or strike your nose.
- Avoid strenuous activities during the initial healing process.
- Healing is a process. Your nose may be swollen and stuffy for several months. Complete healing may take up to 18 months. Please schedule an appointment for 12 months post surgery, so Dr. Truesdale can evaluate the final result.
Rhinoplasty Before & After
FAQs About a Beverly Hills Rhinoplasty
HOW PAINFUL IS A RHINOPLASTY?
Rhinoplasty is not generally a painful procedure.
Most pain is in the first 2-3 days, easily managed with basic pain medication.
Most patients transition to Tylenol on day 3.
HOW IS A RHINOPLASTY DONE?
Each rhinoplasty is approached slightly differently. There is no one size fits all approach. In general, the rhinoplasty can be done open or closed.
- Open – involves an incision that allows access to the entire internal structure of the nose for the most precise manipulation.
- Closed – more useful for very minor changes to the nose.
WHAT ARE POTENTIAL RISKS OF A RHINOPLASTY?
Because rhinoplasty is a surgical procedure, there are some risks involved. For most people, the risks are rare or minimal, especially when the procedure is performed by a specialized facial plastic surgeon such as Dr. Truesdale. Dr. Truesdale will share a full list of risks and complications based on the latest surgical research prior to booking surgery.
IS YOUR NOSE BROKEN DURING A RHINOPLASTY?
The nose is not always broken during a rhinoplasty. The surgical technique for a rhinoplasty depends on several factors, such as the degree in which the patient would like narrowing of the nose, to correct nasal deviation, or to compensate for a hump reduction.
IS A RHINOPLASTY PERMANENT?
Yes. Rhinoplasty involves making permanent changes to the nose. In general, your nose will look very good after surgery and continue to improve over the next 12 months as swelling goes down.
IS A RHINOPLASTY A MAJOR SURGERY?
Rhinoplasty is an outpatient procedure, but does involve anesthesia.
Any surgery should be taken seriously, but a rhinoplasty is not a major surgery that will affect the heart or lungs.
A rhinoplasty is generally considered safe, but is approached very seriously as it’s the most central portion of someone’s face, and millimeters matter and every surgery prevents some level of risk.
WHEN ARE STITCHES REMOVED AFTER A RHINOPLASTY?
The nasal cast and sutures will be removed after five (5) to seven (7) days at your follow-up appointment.
CAN I TRAVEL AFTER A RHINOPLASTY?
If you need to travel, it is safe to fly nine (9) days after surgery.
Call Dr. Truesdale if you plan to fly or scuba-dive, as there will be changes in pressure.
WHAT IS THE RECOVERY TIME AFTER A SURGICAL RHINOPLASTY? HOW LONG DO I NEED TO TAKE OFF OF WORK OR SCHOOL?
Dr. Truesdale recommends at least one week off of work or school to focus on healing.
HOW MUCH IS A SURGICAL RHINOPLASTY?
IS FINANCING AVAILABLE FOR A RHINOPLASTY?
Yes! Dr. Truesdale partners with three trusted financing institutions. We accept all major credit / debit cards, cash, or offer 0% interest patient financing through three providers:
Visit our Financing page for more information and to apply in 5-10 minutes.
CAN I EXERCISE AFTER A RHINOPLASTY? WHEN SHOULD YOU HAVE A REVISION RHINOPLASTY?
To prevent bleeding and increased swelling, avoid extreme physical activity, including athletic activities and intercourse. After 24 hours, you are encouraged to go for light walks and strolls. Light cardio, such as an elliptical machine or spin bike on a low resistance can begin on post-operative day seven (7). Do not engage in any heavy cardiovascular activity (running), any activity that involves straining (weight lifting) or anything that involves bending over (yoga, pilates) for at least three (3) weeks, unless otherwise instructed.
You can undergo revision rhinoplasty if you are dissatisfied by the results of a previous rhinoplasty. Dr. Truesdale typically recommends waiting until all swelling has subsided from the original rhinoplasty, typically at least 6 months to a year. A revision rhinoplasty is a more complex procedure than a primary rhinoplasty (a first-time rhinoplasty) so it can take more time to perform, typically is more expensive, and can take longer to heal. The healing time for a revision rhinoplasty is longer because the tissues have already been altered and formed scar tissue that will need to re-heal. Considering these factors, it is very important to make an informed decision on your rhinoplasty surgeon. Dr. Truesdale draws on his facial plastic surgery expertise to perform revision rhinoplasties for patients who are unsatisfied by results delivered by another surgeon.
I had the absolute best experience with Dr. Truesdale. He is so personable, energetic and just overall the best Dr. I’ve ever been to. I had a rhinoplasty done and I was beyond nervous. Dr. Truesdale and his staff made me feel so comfortable and supported me every step of the way. My results are amazing. I 100% recommended him to anyone!!