What is an otoplasty / cosmetic otoplasty surgery?
A cosmetic otoplasty is surgery to change the shape, position, or size of the ears. It can also be done to repair ears that have been damaged from injury or piercings. Surgery to draw protruding ears closer to the sides of the face is also commonly known as ear pinning.
What are the benefits of cosmetic ear surgery?
Improved overall facial appearance
Many patients feel that correcting uneven or distracting ears improves their overall facial appearance, even if they do not have any other facial procedures done. The ears frame the face, and optimizing their look can have a dramatic effect on the entire face.
Protruding ears can cause self-consciousness. Moving the ears closer to the sides of the face helps many patients overcome a lifetime of worry about their ear appearance.
Piercings, gauges, and accidents can cause earlobe damage. Cosmetic otoplasty can help to restore the original appearance of the ear.
Who is a candidate for cosmetic ear surgery?
If you are bothered by how far your ears stick out from your head, or if you have misshapen ears from a birth defect or an injury, a cosmetic otoplasty could be a great surgical option for you.
This procedure is common for children aged five and older, to help prevent a common source of teasing at school and to work with the ear cartilage while it is more pliable. However, a cosmetic otoplasty can be done at any age, and can also be combined with facial rejuvenation procedures such as a facelift.
Why Choose Truesdale Facial Plastic Surgery for Cosmetic Ear Surgery?
Dr. Truesdale is highly trained as a facial plastic surgeon and as an otolaryngologist/head and neck surgeon–Ear, Nose, and Throat (ENT) surgeon. He takes careful measurements to create a natural earshape without being overly pinned. Patients often consider a cosmetic otoplasty with Dr. Truesdale to be a life-changing procedure.
What is the Process to get a Beverly Hills Otoplasty at Truesdale Facial Plastic Surgery?
1. Consultation / Preparation
- The first step in the journey is a one-on-one consultation with Dr. Truesdale. During that time, you will share your goals, he will evaluate your face, and provide his expert opinion on the best treatment plan and surgical approach. Expectations, results, methods, and risks will all be discussed. Dr. Truesdale will take the time to make sure you understand the plan and feel fully informed and comfortable with the surgical plan.
- You will then meet with the Practice Manager to discuss scheduling, cost and the payment plan, and your pre-operative instructions. We can schedule you for surgery as soon as you pay the $1000 surgical deposit. Oftentimes, surgery can be scheduled within the next few weeks!
- During the consultation, Dr. Truesdale will discuss preparing for your procedure. Detailed information with pre-operative instructions, benefits, and risks, will also be shared electronically so you have the opportunity to review in detail and can prepare any additional questions for Dr. Truesdale or the team.
- As with any surgery, there are certain medications, vitamins, and herbs that should be avoided in the 2 weeks prior to surgery. Some of these items can cause you to bleed more than normal, or may otherwise interact with the surgery process.
3. Day-of Procedure
- Surgery will take place at an accredited operating room in Beverly Hills. Our Practice Manager, Maria, will provide you with detailed location information and pre-op instructions for the day-of surgery.
- The length of surgery varies based on each patient’s situation and goals. A cosmetic otoplasty typically takes two to three hours to complete.
- Dr. Truesdale typically performs a cosmetic otoplasty without the use of general anesthesia. Local anesthesia will be used to numb the procedure area.
- Dressing will be placed over the ears to support healing.
- Sleep on your back, with your head elevated.
- Prepare to have help getting out of bed for the first evening.
4. Post-operative / recovery
- Dr. Truesdale will provide detailed information on how to promote the most effective and comfortable healing process.
- Most patients experience more discomfort than pain. Use pain medication as directed or needed, and follow all of Dr. Truesdale’s post-operative instructions.
- You will see Dr. Truesdale to change your head dressing a few days after surgery. You will continue to wear the head dressing for three more days, and a headband at night for two weeks.
- Patients who work from home may be able to return to work the next day. Patients who work in an office setting will likely want to wait until their head dressing is removed.
- You will likely experience mild bruising and swelling for a few weeks.
- Rest and sleep on your back, with your head elevated.
5. Extended Healing
- Avoid strenuous activities for three weeks.
- Do not wear glasses or earrings for three weeks.
- Do not swim for at least four weeks.
- Bruising and swelling will continue to reside over time.
- Full healing may take up to six months.
Ear Surgery Before & After
FAQs about cosmetic ear surgery in Beverly Hills
What is the best age for otoplasty?
A cosmetic otoplasty is common for children aged five and older, to help prevent a common source of teasing at school and to work with the ear cartilage while it is more pliable. However, a cosmetic otoplasty can be done at any age, and can also be combined with facial rejuvenation procedures such as a facelift.
Is otoplasty permanent?
Yes, an otoplasty is a permanent surgical procedure.
What is the downtime after an otoplasty?
You should wear a handband for 1 week following surgery, but you can go back to work the next day if you work from home or are able to wear your headband at work.
How much does otoplasty cost?
Is financing available?
Yes! Dr. Truesdale partners with four trusted financing institutions. We accept all major credit / debit cards, cash, or offer 0% interest patient financing:
- PATIENTFI (Preferred)
- CARE CREDIT
Visit our Financing page for more information and to apply in 5-10 minutes.