What is a mid-facelift?
A mid-facelift, also known as a cheek lift, is a surgical procedure that lifts the cheek. This procedure addresses one of the earliest signs of aging – sagging of the cheeks and surrounding areas. A mid-facelift is distinct from a traditional facelift, which may not fully treat the upper cheek, upper mouth, and lower eye areas. Candidacy can be determined during consultation.
What are the benefits of a mid-facelift?
Restore a youthful appearance
A mid-facelift restores the position of a cheek that has fallen with gravity, restoring a youthful appearance.
Sculpt the face
A mid-facelift can help the cheekbones look more prominent while still looking completely natural.
Slow down the aging process
A mid-facelift can help with total facial rejuvenation when combined with other procedures such as a brow lift, fillers, laser treatments, and a medical-grade skin care regime.
Who is a candidate for a mid-facelift?
If you want to refresh their appearance by reducing your nasolabial folds (wrinkles at the corner of the mouth), tighten the skin in your mid-face, modestly tighten the jawline, and elevate your cheeks, you may be a candidate for a mid-facelift.
Why Choose Truesdale Facial Plastic Surgery for a Mid-Facelift?
Many surgeons don’t perform mid-facelifts because they are not trained in this complex procedure. Dr. Truesdale performs a mid-facelift endoscopically (with a telescope) for increased precision. Additionally, the tissue in the mid-face can be lifted through an incision in the mouth and an incision hidden in the hairline – meaning there are no external scars. Dr. Truesdale prefers to do a mid-facelift rather than a cheek implant, as a mid-facelift uses a patient’s own tissue for a totally natural-looking result. A mid-facelift has the added advantage of being a more permanent solution, unlike fillers which require maintenance and are not always optimal for aging skin.
What is the Process to get a Beverly Hills Mid-Facelift at Truesdale Facial Plastic Surgery?
1. Consultation / Preparation
- The first step in the journey is a one-on-one consultation with Dr. Truesdale. During that time, you will share your goals, he will evaluate your face, and provide his expert opinion on the best treatment plan and surgical approach. Expectations, results, methods, and risks will all be discussed. Dr. Truesdale will take the time to make sure you understand the plan and feel fully informed and comfortable with the surgical plan.
- You will then meet with the Practice Manager to discuss scheduling, cost and the payment plan, and your pre-operative instructions. We can schedule you for surgery as soon as you pay the $1000 surgical deposit. Oftentimes, surgery can be scheduled within the next few weeks!
- During the consultation, Dr. Truesdale will discuss preparing for your procedure. Detailed information with pre-operative instructions, benefits, and risks, will also be shared electronically so you have the opportunity to review in detail and can prepare any additional questions for Dr. Truesdale or the team.
- As with any surgery, there are certain medications, vitamins, and herbs that should be avoided in the 2 weeks prior to surgery. Some of these items can cause you to bleed more than normal, or may otherwise interact with the surgery process.
3. Day-of Procedure (including timing, anesthesia, where it takes place)
- Surgery will take place at an accredited operating room in Beverly Hills. Our Practice Manager, Maria, will provide you with detailed location information and pre-op instructions for the day-of surgery.
- The length of surgery varies based on each patient’s situation and goals. A mid-facelift typically takes three to five hours to complete.
- Truesdale typically performs a mid-facelift while the patient is in a sleep-like condition.
- Consume liquids only for the first 24 hours.
- Significant swelling is to be expected. Ice your forehead, cheeks, and eyes frequently to help with swelling and healing.
- Plan to rest for the remainder of the day after surgery. Sleep on your back, with your head elevated, and prepare to have help getting out of bed for the first evening.
4. Post-Operative / Recovery
- Truesdale will provide detailed information on how to promote the most effective and comfortable healing process.
- Most patients experience more discomfort than pain. Use pain medication as directed or needed, and follow all of Dr. Truesdale’s post-operative.
- After the first day, you may begin eating soft foods, but it is vital that you rinse your mouth after each meal to keep the sutures in your mouth clean for the first six days.
- You will see Dr. Truesdale to change your head dressing the day after surgery, if dressing was used.
- Sutures and surgical staples are typically removed seven days after surgery.
- You can anticipate going back to work in about ten days.
- You will likely experience mild bruising and swelling for a few weeks.
- Rest and sleep on your back, with your head elevated.
5. Extended Healing
- Avoid strenuous activities for three weeks.
- Avoid sun exposure for six weeks. Wear SPF 50 daily.
- Bruising and swelling will continue to reside over time.
- Full healing may take up to six months.
FAQs about a Mid-Facelift
How long does a midface lift last?
Each result is different. Although the patient will continue to age, the result is very long lasting.Patients who have a mid-facelift will always look better and will age less dramatically than if they had not had the surgery.
What should I expect after a mid facelift?
You should expect swelling 10-14 days. Some patients might get a headache for a day or two. Pain is generally well managed with pain medication.