What is facial fat transfer / fat grafting?
Facial fat transfer is the transfer of fat from one area of the body to the face for patients looking to reduce wrinkles and improve volume lost in the face. It is considered a more permanent and natural alternative to dermal fillers and other injectables.
What are the benefits of facial fat transfer?
Restored volume in the face
Facial fat transfer can add volume to the cheeks, jawline, nasal labial fold, cheeks or other areas that have lost volume due to aging.
Reduction of wrinkles
Facial fat transfer can lessen wrinkles around the eyes, nose, and mouth to reveal a more youthful appearance.
More rested, balanced appearance
Facial fat transfer can restore facial harmony and improve “hollows” under the eyes.
Who is a candidate for facial fat transfer?
Patients of all ages who want a more permanent solution to resolve decreased volume in their face, dark hollows under their eyes, a deep nasolabial fold, or weak cheekbones.
Patients who have lost facial volume and gained wrinkles due to the aging process.
Why Choose Truesdale Facial Plastic Surgery for your Beverly Hills Facial Fat Transfer
Dr. Truesdale will take the time to fully evaluate your face and provide an expert recommendation on how to best reach your goals for facial volume and a youthful appearance, whether it be facial fat grafting, fillers, or another solution.
What is the Process to get Facial Fat Transfer at Truesdale Facial Plastic Surgery?
1. Consultation / Preparation
- The first step in the journey is a one-on-one consultation with Dr. Truesdale. During that time, you will share your goals, he will evaluate your face, and provide his expert opinion on the best treatment plan and surgical approach. Expectations, results, methods, and risks will all be discussed. Dr. Truesdale will take the time to make sure you understand the plan and feel fully informed and comfortable with the surgical plan.
- You will then meet with the Practice Manager to discuss scheduling, cost and the payment plan, and your pre-operative instructions. We can schedule you for surgery as soon as you pay the $1000 surgical deposit. Oftentimes, surgery can be scheduled within the next few weeks!
- During the consultation, Dr. Truesdale will discuss preparing for your procedure. Detailed information with pre-operative instructions, benefits, and risks, will also be shared electronically so you have the opportunity to review in detail and can prepare any additional questions for Dr. Truesdale or the team.
- As with any surgery, there are certain medications, vitamins, and herbs that should be avoided in the 2 weeks prior to surgery. Some of these items can cause you to bleed more than normal, or may otherwise interact with the surgery process.
3. Day-of Procedure
- Our Practice Manager, Maria, will provide you with detailed location information and pre-op instructions for the day-of surgery.
- The length of surgery varies based on each patient’s situation and goals. Facial fat grafting typically takes an hour to complete.
- Facial fat grafting is a fairly comfortable procedure and can be done while the patient is awake, with the treatment area comfortably numb, or can be combined with another procedure that is done while the patient is in a sleep-like state.
4. Post-operative / recovery
- Dr. Truesdale will provide detailed information on how to promote the most effective and comfortable healing process.
- Most patients experience more discomfort than pain. Use pain medication as directed or needed, and follow all of Dr. Truesdale’s post-operative instructions.
- Recovery after fat grafting is typically fast and easy, and you can resume normal activities in just a few days.
- You will likely experience mild bruising and swelling for a few weeks. Using a cold compress will help with the healing process.
5. Extended Healing
- Avoid strenuous activities for three weeks.
- Bruising and swelling will continue to reside over time.
- Full healing may take a month.
FAQs about Facial Fat Transfer / Fat Grafting
How long do facial fat transfers last?
Fat transfer is performed using a patient’s own fat (from areas with excess fatty tissue such as the stomach, hips, thighs, or back). A small amount of fat is removed using liposuction, and then strong fat cells are injected into the treatment area on the face. About 30% of the harvested fat survives in the new site. The surviving fat lasts forever. Dr. Truesdale is experienced in transferring the appropriate amount of fat so the desired change is permanent. Transferred fat acts similar to “normal” fat, so can also be affected by weight fluctuations.
How much does a facial fat transfer cost?
The cost of this surgery can vary based on the patient’s situation. The total cost may include the surgeon’s fee, operating room fees, and anesthesia fees (if applicable). At Truesdale Facial Plastic Surgery, we believe the surgeon’s philosophy and experience, and your comfort with him are just as important as the final cost of the surgery. Call today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Truesdale and start the process. We can provide an approximate range for this procedure over the phone. Our practice manager will confirm the pricing for you after your consultation. All surgical quotes are valued for 60 days.
What are the risks / side effects of facial fat transfer?
Because facial fat transfer is a surgical procedure, there are some risks involved. For most people, the risk is minimal, especially when the procedure is performed by a specialized facial plastic surgeon such as Dr. Truesdale.
What is the downtime after a facial fat transfer
You should expect mild bruising and swelling for a week, but you could go back to work immediately after surgery.