What is a neck lift?
A neck lift is a surgical procedure that improves visible signs of aging in the neck and jawline. Neck muscles are tightened and excess skin around the jawline is removed to reveal a more youthful-looking and defined neck. A neck lift can be done in combination with a fat reduction procedure like neck liposuction for a more pronounced transformation, and in combination with a facelift to rejuvenate the face and neck at the same time.
What are the benefits of a neck lift?
More youthful appearance
The neck and face work in tandem to create a youthful, attractive appearance. A neck lift will smooth the skin of the neck to complement any facial procedure you select, or to better match the neck with the face in cases where the neck has experienced advanced signs of aging.
Loose skin, wrinkles, or the dreaded “turkey neck” are clear signs of aging. A neck lift can improve confidence with minimal scarring and a short recovery period.
Improved neck and jawline
Would you like a sharper jawline? Loose skin at the jawline and neck can be a common problem for men and women of a variety of ages, due to factors such as aging and weight fluctuation. A neck lift can remove excess skin from the neck, giving you the sharp jawline and facial contour you’re looking for. It can be combined with fat-removing procedures like neck liposuction for a powerful but natural-looking transformation.
Who is a candidate for a neck lift?
Men and women who are bothered by a double chin, sagging or loose skin at the neck, or a “turkey neck” may benefit from a neck lift. In addition, many patients who undergo a fat-reduction procedure like a neck liposuction would benefit from a neck lift to tighten the skin after the fat has been removed under the chin and in the neck. Otherwise, there will be loose skin once the fat is removed (unless the patient has excellent skin elasticity). Neck lift patients should be in generally good health and should not smoke.
Why Choose Truesdale Facial Plastic Surgery for your Beverly Hills Neck Lift?
Dr. Truesdale is trained in the latest surgical techniques to get a very lifted result while still maintaining a natural appearance. His technique not only optimizes the amount of skin in the neck, but also lifts and secures the muscle, to create a beautiful, angular jawline.
A neck lift by Dr. Truesdale will result in minimal scarring. Dr. Truesdale is meticulous with stitches, and hides most of the incision behind the ear so the scar is almost imperceptible.
Dr. Truesdale will come up with a custom treatment plan for you, based on your goals. You don’t need to come into the appointment knowing the different types of facelifts, neck lifts, or other surgical procedures. Dr. Truesdale will create the right plan, whether it be a solo or a combination treatment, to achieve your goals for facial tightening, contour, or rejuvenation.
What is the Process to get a Beverly Hills Neck Lift at Truesdale Facial Plastic Surgery?
1. Consultation / Preparation
- The first step in the journey is a one-on-one consultation with Dr. Truesdale. During that time, you will share your goals, he will evaluate your face, and provide his expert opinion on the best treatment plan and surgical approach. Expectations, results, methods, and risks will all be discussed. Dr. Truesdale will take the time to make sure you understand the plan and feel fully informed and comfortable with the surgical plan.
- You will then meet with the Practice Manager to discuss scheduling, cost and the payment plan, and your pre-operative instructions. We can schedule you for surgery as soon as you pay the $1000 surgical deposit. Oftentimes, surgery can be scheduled within the next few weeks!
- During the consultation, Dr. Truesdale will discuss preparing for your procedure. Detailed information with pre-operative instructions, benefits, and risks, will also be shared electronically so you have the opportunity to review in detail and can prepare any additional questions for Dr. Truesdale or the team.
- As with any surgery, there are certain medications, vitamins, and herbs that should be avoided in the 2 weeks prior to surgery. Some of these items can cause you to bleed more than normal, or may otherwise interact with the surgery process.
- Patients should arrange to have a family member, close friend, or caretaker provide them transportation to and from the surgery.
3. Day-of Procedure (including timing, anesthesia, where it takes place)
- Surgery will take place at an accredited operating room in Beverly Hills. Our Practice Manager, Maria, will provide you with detailed location information and pre-op instructions for the day-of surgery.
- The length of surgery varies based on each patient’s situation and goals. A neck lift typically takes between three to five hours to complete.
- A neck lift is generally performed while the patient is in a sleep-like state during the surgery.
- You will likely feel some swelling, bruising, and tightness.
- You will also be asked to frequently apply ice compresses to the neck while you are awake.
- Plan to rest for the remainder of the day after surgery. Sleep on your back, with your head elevated. Please prepare to have help getting out of bed for the first evening.
4. Post-Operative / Recovery
- Dr. Truesdale will provide detailed information on how to promote the most effective and comfortable healing process.
- Most patients experience more discomfort than pain. Use pain medication as directed or needed, and follow all of Dr. Truesdale’s post-operative instructions.
- You will see Dr. Truesdale to change your head dressing three days after surgery.
- Continue to get lots of rest and ice your face frequently while you are awake.
- You can anticipate going back to work in about 10 days.
5. Extended Healing
- Sutures and surgical staples will be removed about eight days after surgery.
- Avoid straining, bending, and exercise for three weeks.
- Rest and sleep on your back, with your head elevated for two weeks.
- Avoid sun exposure for six weeks and wear SPF 50 every day.
- Avoid smoking, alcohol, and salt.
- Tightness, numbness, and swelling will continue to reside over the first two to three months.
- Full healing may take up to six months.
Neck Lift Before & After
FAQs about a Beverly Hills Neck Lift
Is a neck lift painful?
A neck lift is generally not very painful. Most patients need 1-2 days of prescription pain medication and then transition to Tylenol. You may experience some tightness for 1-2 days, but slight discomfort is more common than pain.
How long does a neck lift last?
Each result is different. Although the patient will continue to age, the result is very long lasting. Getting a neck lift in your 40s can help slow down the aging process in your neck and greatly reduce the amount of loose or sagging skin you would have later in life.
Can you get a neck lift only?
Yes, a neck lift can be done as a solo procedure if the neck is aging at a more rapid rate than other areas of the face and there is limited fat in the neck and under the chin. However, it is common for a neck lift to be done at the same time as a facelift or a fat removal procedure such as neck liposuction.
What are the risks / side effects of a neck lift?
Because a facelift is a surgical procedure, there are some risks involved. For most people, the risk is minimal, especially when the procedure is performed by a specialized facial plastic surgeon such as Dr. Truesdale.