What is a facelift?
A facelift is a surgical procedure to improve visible signs of aging in the face and neck. It elevates the skin and tightens the underlying muscles and tissues to give a more youthful appearance.
What are the benefits of a facelift?
More youthful appearance
Many people feel their appearance doesn’t match how young they feel on the inside or their overall health and vitality. A facelift can turn back the hands of time and recreate a balanced, youthful appearance.
Wrinkles, loose skin, and a lack of facial definition can all significantly impact how good you feel about your appearance. A facelift by Dr. Truesdale can dramatically improve your confidence without you feeling “overdone.” Additionally, a facelift is an extremely long-lasting procedure and helps slow down future aging.
Improved neck and jawline
Would you like a sharper jawline? Loose skin at the jawline and neck can be a common problem for men and women of a variety of ages, due to factors such as aging and weight fluctuation. A facelift can tighten the neck muscles and remove excess skin, giving you the sharp jawline and facial contour you’re looking for. It can be combined with fat-removing procedures like neck liposuction for a powerful but natural-looking transformation.
Who is a candidate for a facelift?
Men and women who want to improve multiple signs of aging, such as sagging skin, loose jowls, deflated cheeks, or who want to tighten the skin in combination with a fat-reduction technique like buccal fat removal or neck liposuction, may benefit greatly from a facelift. Facelift patients should be in generally good health and should not smoke.
Why Choose Truesdale Facial Plastic Surgery for your Beverly Hills Facelift?
Dr. Truesdale uses the most advanced facelift technique – a deep plane facelift. A deep plane facelift provides the longest lasting, most rejuvenated effect of all facelift techniques. Many other surgeons are not trained in deep plane facelifts or don’t feel comfortable performing this complex procedure. A facelift by Dr. Truesdale will result in minimal scarring. Dr. Truesdale is meticulous with stitches, and hides most of the incision in the hairline or behind cartilage in the ear so the scar is almost imperceptible. Many surgeons insert tubes to drain accumulated blood under the skin during a facelift. These tubes remain in place 1-3 days, adding complexity to the recovery process. Dr. Truesdale doesn’t typically use tubes because of his meticulous blood control (hemostasis) expertise and techniques.
“My goal is to keep the essence of the patient without making them look like a different person. Their skin and face should not look distorted, pulled, or “done.” Instead, the idea is to place the tissues to where they were 15-20 years previously, truly turning back the hands of time”
– Dr. Truesdale
What is a deep plane facelift?
A Deep plane facelift is a facelift that involves getting under the SMAS (superficial muscular aponeurotic system) and vertically lifting the tissues to the desired position. Patients generally have minimal bruising because there’s less tension put on the skin than a typical facelift and there are fewer blood vessels in the deep plane. A deep plane facelift can provide a very natural, long-lasting result when performed by an expert facial plastic surgeon like Dr. Truesdale.
Dr. Truesdale’s technique involves the freeing of the facial muscle layer and neck muscle (platysma) to lift as one sheet vertically. The skin and muscle move together and avoids the need to separate the skin from the muscle to allow the most natural, long lasting outcome with the least amount of downtime possible. He will often perform liposuction to remove fat in the neck as well, depending on the patient.
Dr. Truesdale hides his incisions inside the hair and inside the ear cartilage (not on the face). The muscle (SMAS) is completely released from the ligaments in the face and neck which allow vertical movement of the tissues of the face. The muscle is secured and skin trimmed. He will then often elect to also graft fat into the face for a natural fill, restoring lost volume.
What is the Process to get a Beverly Hills Facelift at Truesdale Facial Plastic Surgery?
1. Consultation / Preparation
- The first step in the journey is a one-on-one consultation with Dr. Truesdale. During that time, you will share your goals, he will evaluate your face, and provide his expert opinion on the best treatment plan and surgical approach. Expectations, results, methods, and risks will all be discussed. Dr. Truesdale will take the time to make sure you understand the plan and feel fully informed and comfortable with the surgical plan.
- You will then meet with the Practice Manager to discuss scheduling, cost and the payment plan, and your pre-operative instructions. We can schedule you for surgery as soon as you pay the $1000 surgical deposit. Oftentimes, surgery can be scheduled within the next few weeks!
- During the consultation, Dr. Truesdale will discuss preparing for your procedure. Detailed information with pre-operative instructions, benefits, and risks, will also be shared electronically so you have the opportunity to review in detail and can prepare any additional questions for Dr. Truesdale or the team.
- As with any surgery, there are certain medications, vitamins, and herbs that should be avoided in the 2 weeks prior to surgery. Some of these items can cause you to bleed more than normal, or may otherwise interact with the surgery process.
- Patients should arrange to have a family member, close friend, or caretaker provide them transportation to and from the surgery. You should also prepare to have overnight care for the first night.
3. Day-of Procedure (including timing, anesthesia, where it takes place)
- Surgery will take place at an accredited operating room in Beverly Hills. Our Practice Manager, Maria, will provide you with detailed location information and pre-op instructions for the day-of surgery.
- The length of surgery varies based on each patient’s situation and goals. A facelift typically takes between three to five hours to complete.
- A facelift is generally performed while you are in a sleep-like state during the surgery.
- Compression garments will be wrapped around the face and head to support healing. You will likely feel some swelling, bruising, and tightness around the dressing, as well as swelling of your eyes.
- You will also be asked to frequently apply ice compresses to the face while you are awake.
- Plan to rest for the remainder of the day after surgery. Sleep on your back, with your head elevated.
- Prepare to have help getting out of bed for the first evening.
4. Post-operative / recovery
- Dr. Truesdale will provide detailed information on how to promote the most effective and comfortable healing process.
- Most patients experience more discomfort than pain. Use pain medication as directed or needed, and follow all of Dr. Truesdale’s post-operative instructions.
- You will see Dr. Truesdale to change your head dressing three days after surgery.
- Continue to get lots of rest and ice your face frequently while you are awake.
- You can anticipate going back to work after about ten days.
5. Extended Healing
- Sutures and surgical staples will be removed about eight days after surgery.
- Avoid straining, bending, and exercise for three weeks.
- Rest and sleep on your back, with your head elevated for two weeks.
- Avoid sun exposure for six weeks and wear SPF 50 every day.
- Avoid smoking, alcohol, and salt.
- Tightness, numbness, and swelling will continue to reside over the first two-three months.
- Full healing may take up to six months.
Facelift Before & After
FAQs about a Beverly Hills Facelift
What is the best age for a facelift?
Contrary to popular belief, there is no “best age” for a facelift. The average age of a facelift may be in the 50s, but there are plenty of people in their 40s and even 30s who would benefit from a facelift – it all depends on the amount of skin laxity and their goals.
What are the risks / side effects of a facelift?
Because a facelift is a surgical procedure, there are some risks involved. For most people, the risk is minimal, especially when the procedure is performed by a specialized facial plastic surgeon such as Dr. Truesdale.
How long does facelift last?
Each result is different. Although the patient will continue to age, the result is very long lasting. Dr. Truesdale’s goal is for the patient to not think about rejuvenation again for another 10-15 years. Patients who have a facelift will always look better and will age less dramatically than if they had not had a facelift.
How painful is a facelift?
A facelift is generally not very painful. Most patients need 1-2 days of prescription pain medication and then transition to Tylenol. You may experience some tightness for 1-2 days due to tension placed on deep tissues and the facial dressing, but discomfort is more common than pain.